WIDA's 2012 Amplification of the ELD Standards
The 2012 Amplification of the English Language Development Standards was developed with input from leaders in the field and educators in WIDA Consortium member states. This process was also informed by the latest developments in both English language development research and states' content standards for college and career readiness.
The 2012 Amplification of the ELD Standards, Kindergarten–Grade
12 is available for free download or for purchase as a spiral-bound booklet. Order Now
Here are some suggestions for how you might organize your review of the standards publication:
- Review our 2012 Amplification Overview Tutorial. Please make sure your computer's sound is turned on so you can hear the narration.
- Look at the Defining Features of Academic Language, the Performance Definitions for Listening & Reading, and the Performance Definitions for Speaking & Writing and think about how they apply at your grade level.
- Download and review the amplification of the WIDA ELD Standards for Kindergarten-Grade 12. Please note: WIDA plans to release PreKindergarten standards for 3- and 4-year-olds at a later date.
- Watch a recorded webinar. This webinar explores applied use of the ELD Standards framework for writing language objectives for a sample lesson.
- Consider how you might incorporate the 2012 Edition into your practice and make plans to share it with your colleagues in a meaningful way.
The WIDA Standards Framework and its Theoretical Foundations
WIDA draws on multiple theories and approaches in an effort to describe language use in academic contexts; this is the language that language learners must acquire and negotiate to participate successfully in school. These multiple theories and approaches form a theoretical foundation that supports the WIDA standards framework.
The standards framework consists of five components. Some of these components are expressions of a
particular philosophy, while others are explicit representations of knowledge. The five components are:
Essential Actions Handbook
The overall purpose of this handbook is to promote collaboration, mutual understanding, and use of language development standards among all educators who work with ELLs. The Essential Actions, derived from current theory and research, provide a rationale for each component and element of WIDA's standards framework. They may be used in conjunction with WIDA's 2007 or 2012 Standards books or independently, once teachers have familiarity with the components and elements. Order Now
WIDA's ELP Standards, 2007 Edition
standards outline the progression of English language development and exemplify
how to teach academic language within the context of content area instruction.
The WIDA Consortium's English Language Proficiency Standards encompass:
- Social and Instructional language
- the language of Language Arts
- the language of Mathematics
- the language of Science
- the language of Social Studies
The WIDA ELP Standards and Resource Guide, 2007 Edition, PreKindergarten–Grade
12 is available for free download or for purchase as a spiral-bound booklet.
Understanding the WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards: A Resource Guide
is an introduction to using the Standards. The final sections of the Resource Guide
contain several tools WIDA has developed for use with our assessments and in the
classroom, some of which are also available as separate downloads. They are:
- The Performance Definitions for WIDA's levels of language proficiency
- The Speaking and Writing Rubrics for classroom assessment
- The PreK-Grade 12 CAN DO Descriptors*
*The CAN DO Descriptors are also available by grade level
Search the Standards
Try our web-based tool for locating strands of model performance indicators related to particular standards, domains, or example topics.
Read WIDA blogs (Parts 1 and 2) pertaining to transforming the WIDA standards.
Have you noticed that word walls are a common support in the WIDA standards? Get some tips on creating your own on the WIDA blog!
Virginia Department of Education ELP Standards Videos
The Virginia Department of Education has generously offered to share a series of
videos created by teachers, for teachers, to promote understanding of the WIDA ELP
Standards and offer example lesson plans based on certain language functions.
You may view the videos and download lesson materials from the Virginia Department of Education website.
WIDA encourages and appreciates the willingness of our member states to share any
such local efforts in order to maximize the number of educators benefiting from
your work. If your state or district has unique or outstanding projects underway
that can be shared with the consortium, please contact Andrea Cammilleri.at
WIDA's ELP Standards, 2004 Edition
The WIDA ELP Standards, 2004 Edition, is comprised of four documents.
The Overview Document is an introduction to understanding and using
The three frameworks of the 2004 Edition allow you to focus on classroom learning,
assessment, or look at both simultaneously. They are:
- Classroom framework: the model performance indicators (MPIs) in
this framework focus on the process of learning, offering expectations for student
involvement in performance-based, hands-on learning.
- Large-scale framework: the MPIs in this framework are suitable
for large-scale assessment and therefore lack interactive supports for students.
These MPIs emphasize the products of learning.
- Combined framework: integrates the elements of both the classroom
and large-scale frameworks.